Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Waste Land Documentary

In GT Seminar I, we watched a documentary titled Waste Land. It's an excellent film, although I did not get to watch all of it. From the small section that I was able to see, my opinion stayed the same throughout. The artist, Vik changed the lives of the people of Jardim Gramacho by giving them hope. After his project, many of them changed their lives for the better. Obviously, he gave them money, which was all the proceeds from their portraits. Personally, I think that the former example is the most significant. This film definitely made me think about how much garbage I produce, where it goes, and who has to deal with it. I'd like to be able to say that this will make me change how much garbage I produce, but I'm honestly not sure that I would go about and change. I hate saying that, but its true. However, I might be more prone to purchasing more recycled or recyclable products. In the way that Vik showed this part of society, we could also show things like what many deem as "ghettos", or society's attachment to technology. In the latter, he could specifically make it out of old electronics, etc. Overall, it was an interesting and greatly inspiring film.

No comments:

Post a Comment